Get Glow-y with Grapefruit…On National Grapefruit Day
The hardest working ingredient in every one of our Grapefruit products is—surprise—Grapefruit Extract. It’s rich in Vitamin C and Lycopene (two antioxidant heavy hitters) which naturally help to make your skin tone more even and enhance glow, promoting healthier-, smoother- and softer-looking skin.
Any one of our Grapefruit products will help boost brightness, but to go all-in on glow, here’s how to build a simple yet effective grapefruit-infused regimen.
Step 1: Cleanse with the Grapefruit Daily Foaming Cleanser
- This gentle foaming cleanser can be used AM or PM to remove makeup and cleanse skin without stripping, leaving it soft and prepped for AHA/BHA/PHA treatments by loosening dead skin cells.
- Grapefruit Extract and Vitamin C work together to brighten skin and provide antioxidant benefits even on non-exfoliation days.
Step 2: Treat with the Grapefruit Daily Exfoliating Toner
- A liquid toner that contains natural exfoliators to help skin appear smoother and brighter, this treatment is formulated with antioxidant-packed Grapefruit Extract and 10% fruit acids (AHAs + BHAs).
- Lactic Acid (AHA): A gentler, exfoliating AHA to help keep skin soft
- Glycolic Acid (AHA): A chemical exfoliant that penetrates skin deeply, helping skin feel firmer while minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Willow Bark Extract (BHA): Used in many skin treatments, helps clear pores and brighten skin
Step 3: Moisturize with the Grapefruit Daily Nourishing Lotion
- After cleansing surface impurities and exfoliating away dead cells, your skin is ready to soak up a moisturizing blend of Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter and Avocado Oil.
- Packed with fatty acids and vitamins, these emollient natural ingredients help form a protective barrier over skin to hold in moisture, nourishing skin and helping to improve skin elasticity.
- Those moisture-sealing properties make this lotion an ideal follow-up to acid-based exfoliation.
Step 4: For sun (and screen) protection, follow with the Grapefruit Daily Mineral Lotion SPF 15
- This broad-spectrum UVA/UVB mineral sunscreen (formulated with Non-Nanoparticle Zinc Oxide) uses Grapefruit Extract and Vitamin C to help keep skin glowing while providing an essential shield against sun damage and long-term blue light exposure.
- Since AHAs can cause photosensitivity, this mineral lotion is a crucial step on exfoliation days.
- Its creamy texture and Zinc Oxide blend in and absorb beautifully without leaving behind a greasy residue or white cast.
Bonus: Get an extra dose of glow with the Grapefruit Brightening Bubbling Paper Mask
- Not necessary for everyday use (go ahead and pamper yourself once a week), this gentle cotton mask bubbles on contact to infuse skin with oxygen (to help purify) and Grapefruit Extract and Vitamin C (to help brighten skin’s appearance).
Happy glowing, and happy National Grapefruit Day!
What are Acids?
Acids are a group of ingredients that perform a ‘chemical exfoliation’ to resurface the outermost layers of skin. The chemical exfoliation sloughs away dead skin and encourages new cell turnover for fresh, clean skin. The two most common types of acids–as you may have guessed–are AHAs and BHAs.
AHAs loosen and lift the build-up of dead skin cells on the skin’s surface, while BHAs penetrate deeply into the pores to address skin build-up and help prevent breakouts, making them ideal for oily/acne-prone skin. There is another type of acid called Polyhydroxy Acid that has a larger molecular structure and focuses on sloughing off the dead skin cells from the surface of the skin. It’s a more gentle option for those with sensitive skin. All three types of acids help skin appear retexturized, smoother and brighter.
You might think these sound like a chemical peel, but what sets our Exfoliating Grapefruit Acid products apart from a traditional peel is that they incorporate moisturizing ingredients to work with the acids to keep your skin from drying out (and literally peeling!). Below is a mix of acids we use in some of our products.
- Lactic Acid (AHA) is a gentler, exfoliating AHA to help keep skin soft all day.
- Glycolic Acid (AHA) is a chemical exfoliant that penetrates skin deeply, helping skin feel firmer while minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Willow Bark Extract (BHA) has been used in many skin treatments to help clear pores and brighten skin.
- Gluconolactone (PHA) attacks free radicals, helps protect skin from UV damage, helps reduce the appearance of redness and helps skin maintain elasticity.
- Salicylic Acid (BHA) is a blemish-clearing exfoliator that helps calm angry skin and diminish the appearance of enlarged pores.
When Using Acids…
While acids can help us achieve brighter looking skin, they’re also potent ingredients that need to be taken seriously. Be mindful to not mix other active ingredients with acids such as retinols, as this could result in irritation from an imbalance in the skin. If you are new to exfoliating with acids, you can expect a brief period of redness after application, so it’s important to allow skin time to “acclimate” to the treatment by using acids 1-3 times per week and increasing usage gradually to once per day per product directions. It’s important to note that acids may cause photosensitivity as the constant exfoliation exposes new, fresh skin to sunlight. Therefore, following an acid regimen with moisturizer and SPF is absolutely essential.
If you’re new to acid treatments, we suggest starting with our Grapefruit Glow-Boosting Exfoliating Acid Pads. You use them only once a week and the finger pocket in the pad makes for a fool proof way to apply. If you’re a pro, then the treatment that’s right for you is our Grapefruit Glow-Boosting Daily Exfoliating Tonic.